I was talking to a friend few days ago and was reminded of a sweet memory that I couldn’t help but blog about.
After lot of coaxing and pleading, from me and my brother, telling stories of bus rides et al, my dad agreed to get me a Kinetic Honda. When we were in the Patny showroom, bringing that bike out, my joy knew no boundaries. Then the irony started to roll by the time we reached home. My dad made a deal with me that he’d show me how to drive and until my driving satisfies his standards, I wasn’t getting full control of it. I thought well, that shouldn’t be hard, I had driven 2 wheelers before so how hard would it be to please him…..yaaa… he proved me wrong there. First, he made me sit behind him, then he’d drive me until my school, constantly training me the right way to accelerate the bike, how you have to anticipate the oncoming traffic at turns, how to gently apply brakes, the right way to drive over the speed breaker and the wrong way, what a bad habit it is to drive without the shades (or goggles or whatever u call them), how to keep the gas at least half full, there was no end to the checklist. I finally got them all down and he agreed to let me drive. Almost after a week, I was like finally dad wont be there to police me so I can do some slants and all, and go over speed if there is less traffic, and of course the idea of shades was all the more fashion related than functional to me.
So I step out, thanking god that at least dad didn’t force me to wear my head gear. Just then he stops me to ask where was I going, I said to school, of course. But he said he’s not ready yet, I was like but it’s me who’s going nah, baba, why should you be ready. He smiled and made me wait for him.
Apparently, he was planning on following right behind my kinetic in his jeep, “policing me”, to see if I was doing as he preached. I was dumbfounded at this suggestion. By the time we reached near school, I pulled my bike to the side and said “baba, PLEASE, go now, don’t embarrass me in front of my friends”, oh just as well, he agreed and turned back to his office.
This saga continued for a week before he “graduated” me on his terms to drive on my own. Yipee…no matter how much I cribbed then, I just can’t help laughing when I think of that story.
Folks can be real funny sometimes.
1 comment:
Knowing you for so many years, in my opinion he should have followed you for a month...
Post a Comment